Professional Advancement Tips
* Increase your education: maintaining proficiency, knowledge & staying current means continuing your education.
* Pay your dues: everybody has to start at the bottom to get the real-world experience.
* Network with other professionals in your field: Your profession is full of interesting & knowledgeable people who may be the key to your next job.
* Develop a passion: Key into your excitement & grow from it.
* Offer suggestions: Most organizations want to hear from their employees.
* Find a comfortable place to work whether a big city or a rural community.
* Develop a good attitude: Be a pleasure to be around, a helpful partner & a compassionate caregiver.
* Go the extra mile: take a moment to look around, could you do one more thing that might make a difference for the better.
* Take pride in your appearance: YouR job is a high profile profession. Take stock in the way you look & feel.
* Promote honesty & integrity: these characteristics let others know they can depend on you.
* Develop empathy & compassion: reserve judgment, & demonstrate understanding for ones situation.
* Attend conferences: this will further your knowledge in your field.
* Find a project: look around at the equipment, station or crew quarters. Does something need attention? If so, repair it, clean it up, and leave it better than it was.
* Read, study & inquire: this will make you the best you can be.
* Demonstrate professionalism: you're a professional. Act like one.
* Exemplify teamwork: strive to be the most reliable member of your team/shift.
* Check your personal gear, flash light batteries, etc.
Courtesy of Elizabeth Criss, RN. Jems, sept 2000
START YOUR CAREER SEARCH NOW AT FIRE CAREER ASSISTANCE